Friday, September 28, 2007

Real quick, I just wanted to put in my two cents for the day.

As I was hustling and bustling at work yesterday, I stopped. I thought to myself "this is what I've been wanting my whole life. I am finally doing not only what I went to school for, but what I LOVE to do...helping people.

Actually, I am technically on orientation. I am supposed to following around a preceptor to get to know the routine and become comfortable. I am supposed to be doing that until the beginning of November, and then take a "small load" of patients to transition into being a real, live nurse. Well, yesterday was my 3rd day on orientation, and my preceptor felt that I could handle my own. So the three patients that we were assigned to, she let me go ahead and assume the role of the nurse and then consult her with any questions I had. (Which obviously I had tons!) But I was it. I was the real deal. When the doctor called with a question, the call was referred to ME! I even called a doctor myself to clarify some orders on sending a patient home...it was the scariest thing I have done so far!

But when I stopped in that hallway and looked around, it was the coolest feeling knowing that I have finally achieved my goal! And I can finally wear a stethoscope around my neck with my name badge gleaming: Emily RN, BSN!

3 comments:

Jerilyn said...

I am so happy for you! And so excited that you are so happy. I was very glad when your mom told me you had a blog - now I won't have to be calling her all the time to ask about you. I'll never do one but I love reading my family's blogs. Guess that should be familys'.

Unknown said...

Yippee - what an amazing feeling it must be!! Keep smil'n, keep looking UP and ALWAYS think back to these initial moments when you're having a tough day. God bless ya, sweetie!

Cherilyn Dahlsten said...

Go girl! Way to celebrate every moment! It makes them all the sweeter! You've worked so hard and deserve every accolade! I'm proud of you!