Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Day in the Life

Ok so I know I haven't written in awhile, but things have been so busy lately! This weekend I worked so I didn't have time to do much of anything! Actually, I worked Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. After I got off work on Saturday, Alex and I met up with Sheri and some of her friends down in Overland Park for dinner. Apparently she was here for a Qigong workshop, so it was good to see a familiar face! After dinner, Alex and I went to Bret & Alyson Reimer's for a football party. It's always good to meet up with friends for a fun night of good food, football and some drinks!

Speaking of football, how bout 'dem Wildcats? We all were a little (ok maybe A LOT) disappointed and flustered after the KU game, but man did they do well against Colorado! I've heard they're back in the rankings, but I couldn't tell you what number.

Work is going well, extremely busy, but good! It seems as though each day they ("they," meaning my patients) challenge me even more! I guess that's what's so cool about my job-I will always be learning something new! Besides my patient that had about a bizillion medications to be given ALL AT ONE TIME, my latest challenge has been working with a deaf man. We only had an interpreter on staff for a few hours out of my shift, so the rest of the time it was up to me to figure out how to communicate with him! Also, he didn't read lips very well so let's just say I had to utilize a pen and paper A LOT! Thanks goodness I at least know the alphabet in sign language! I also seem to be experiencing a lot of admissions at 6pm, which means that instead of finishing all of my charting and reporting off to the next nurse by 6:45pm and being gone by 7:15pm, I am doing an admission til 7:45pm; by the time I'm finished with everything else, it's already 8 or 8:15pm! So anyway, I'm really working on my organization skills and being able to complete things a little bit faster. Sometime I think to myself, though, "How can I work any faster?" "How could I do this without my preceptor??" I guess it all comes with practice!

I'm working Wednesday, Thursday, Friday this week. I'm very excited for Friday because my friends and I are FINALLY celebrating my birthday! We have been trying to plan for months a good time to all get together, so I think we've finally decided that this Friday will work out the best for everyone. Alyson is making food for me and we'll probably end up going down to the Plaza for a night of good friends, fellowship and of course a few celebratory drinks. This is the epitome of why I love my life right now...good friends, fellowship and a few celebratory drinks!

Here's a few pictures from the KState game weekend:

(Left) All of the ladies in our group at the tailgate
(Right) Two of my best friends: Bret, Alyson Reimer and I headed to the tailgate a few weekends ago:



Oh, and I finally got some new running shoes! Sadly it was a very big deal for me to get new shoes..in fact, I think these are the most expensive shoes [period] that I've ever bought! Have a look:

3 comments:

judy said...

You will be relieved to know your shoes are Not like mine.

Jerilyn said...

Nothing in your life is like mine!

Unknown said...

leaving work at 8:15 - you're still doing that i think. i hope you're getting your rest. i've figured out that if i don't stop everything i'm doing at 6pm, i can't sleep! course, i'm a little screwier than you. i miss the plaza so much...and the new shoes are awesome. i need some. it's been about 3 years.