Monday, October 29, 2007

The Calm After the Storm

So sorry it has been awhile since a good post, but things really have been busy!

This weekend Alex took me to Pittsburgh, KS to attend the famous Homecoming/Fall Sigma Tau Gamma Formal. I had been hearing about since we met and all of his friends thought it would absolutely insane for me to miss it! And I must say, it was so fun to have fun to get all dressed up, pretty up my hair with the girls, and then have the boys come pick us up like it was prom! (Thank goodness for my bridesmaid dress from Hannah's wedding!)
So, needless to say, we had a wonderful weekend, but we both were very glad to get back to the good life here in Kansas City. And of course while Alex gets to work every day for the next 5 days (like a normal person,) I get to rest up and catch up on my errands and cleaning around the apartment. Man, I love my job.

Speaking of my job, I did get scheduled for the holidays, and let me tell you, it's not exactly ideal. I had a feeling I was gonna have to be working on Christmas day. And whadya know-Christmas day I get to be spending quality time with all the drug addicts, drug seekers and slightly-ill people of Kansas City instead of with my wonderful family in McPherson. There is a possibility, though, that I might drive home to Mac the night of the 23rd (after work), spend Christmas Eve with the fam, drive back to KC that night, work the 25th and 26th, then come back home. I just can't stand the thought of spending Christmas Eve by myself, alone, in front of my fireplace. Ugh, it give me chills just thinking about it.

This will be officially my first holiday that I won't be at home for at least a week with my family eating lots of delicious food and watching movies till 3am with Mom. To say the least, I'm quite devastated. But I didn't have a choice. I'm required to work 1 major holiday a year and since I just started, I had to fulfill it. And although I'm not working on Thanksgiving Day, I work the day before and the day after so that won't be much better than Christmas.

And no, Mom, I haven't decided on what I'm doing for Thanksgiving yet. I'll let ya know here as soon as I decide. I am, though, DYING to come home. Alex and I have had several conversations in the last week about how this going to work thing is already getting old! It's mind-boggling to think that I have to keep going back to work every week to keep making money! Ahh! Oh, and working weekends is getting old REAL fast. But as my preceptor, JD, has said: "You are no longer a civilian, you are a nurse. Get used to it!" Keep in mind that JD is an ex-marine. Thanks, JD.

Alright I suppose I'll start my day. I've done enough laying around! More to come.

3 comments:

Jolyn said...

Wow, real world, Em. Too bad about Christmas! But it could always be worse...parenthood gives NO TIME OFF! Especially when you NEVER LIVE NEAR FAMILY! How 'bout them apples? Hopefully we'll catch you sometime around the holidays (some year soon...)!
Jodi

judy said...

Em, thanks for the update. I know, it's kind of a bummer but we'll have fun whenever you can get here. And Jolyn, you are coming sometime soon aren't you!
Judith

Cherilyn Dahlsten said...

Em, I remember thinking the same thing. I'm supposed to keep doing this work thing for how may decades? You do get used to it, kind of, eventually.