Saturday, September 27, 2008

Arthritis and Cinnamon Rolls

Just a little note to update and blog about some of my recent encounters.

I continue to see Dr. David here in Kansas City for NAET, and I have had quite the time. So far, my symptoms are nothing like I could have ever imagined. In my second week of treatments, I began to feel the tremendous, overwhelming feeling of absolute exhaustion. The last time I remember feeling this way was in nursing school when it was all I could do to get through the day. This lasted about a week and a half, and then came on my next symptom which I have been experiencing for the last couple weeks.

Joint pain. Utter pain and throbbing throughout my whole body. It's in my fingers, my wrists, my shoulders, my CLAVICLES, my ankles, my toes....it's everywhere. I suppose this is what it's like to have arthritis. My question is if this means (which I assume it does) that my body is detoxing itself, is it safe to take some ibuprofen for pain and inflammation? Because it hurts. Bad. I came home from work last night and it was all I could do to just lay there. And throb. What can I do? Is this a natural thing to expect?

So Alex is made cinnamon rolls with orange flavored icing for breakfast and I put together a little fruit salad. Isn't that cute. He's quite the cook...at least one of us is a good cook!

Anyway, we're meeting up with a lot of friends tonight, so I suppose I better start getting ready. Besides, my fingers are starting to hurt.

Any comments are welcome!

4 comments:

judy said...

Em, I am so sorry you are hurting. I do think it's part of your getting better. The part that he said things were going to get worse before you get better. I don't know about taking ibuprofen. Maybe you should ask him. Do drink tons of water, though. The cinnamon rolls sound delicious but I think the sugar is not so good for you especially now. It really weakens your body. Dad says take an aspirin.

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling! It helps me when I take a hot/warm bath for about 20 minutes with mineral salts or epsom salt. Then immediately after getting out I get in a COLD shower and let the water hit me everywhere until I can't stand it. Then I wrap up in a towel and crawl in bed. This gets your lymph system moving, you can feel it! It is a great thing to do just before bed to help you sleep.

Hang in there!

Jerilyn said...

Poor baby - I am so sorry! But I do think it's something you just have to go through when you detox -I know I did anyway. I think Carmen's suggestion is good, and we already talked about the water and the aspirin. Just remember - you're on your way to getting better and better!

sheri said...

Hi, Emily!
I just wrote you a very long comment and lost it all by pushing the wrong button, or something.

Anyway, I will try to highlight what I tried to say.

I can't quite think that throbbing pain is normal. Discomfort should be expected in a healing crisis, but I am not sure about the severity of what you are describing. I wonder if you are detoxing TOO fast. Talk with Dr. David about moving a little slower with you for a while and see what happens. You are a very sensitive person - a little bit goes a long ways.

Also, eat lots of fiber - apples, blueberries, oatmeal, green salad, raw fruits and veggies. We need to have 2-3 bowel movements per day. If we do not, we need more fiber. This is a major way that your body is going to eliminate the toxins that have been released in your body. They have got to get out so nurture the colon. Magnesium is a good supplement for this very thing. A product called "Calm" is a magnesium supplement - a powder that dissolves in water and I like it better than anything else I have tried. I found it at the health food stores.

Drink lots and lots of water, as your mother has suggested. I have some arthritis problems and they are so much better if I am well hydrated. As you may know, we need half our weight in ounces of water each day. If I do not get up in the night to use the bathroom, I know that I am not drinking enough water before bed and I will feel worse in the morning.

The epsom salt bath is a good idea. Try using a small quantity of salt because of how sensitive you are. A vinegar bath (1 cup in the bath) would also be another gentler detox bath. A warm bath or warm compresses should be soothing for the pain.

And last, but not least, make an appointment with Dr. Jones (just a suggestion).

Love you bunches,
Sheri