Saturday, January 10, 2009

Headaches, Death, Dogs and Winter

As you can see by the name of my post, my life has been filled with all sorts of ups and downs recently.

The last couple days I have a had a little headache, the kind that are caused by the a little vertebrae in my neck going out, then all the muscles around it get all tensed up and in a frenzy, causing a massive migraine headache. Last night I thought going to Yoga would kick it. You know, a little relaxation and breathing exercises, maybe a little stretching would help. Well it did help, but it also gave me some sore upper back muscles, as well. (I'm very weak in that area.) So when I woke up this morning with a sore back AND headache, I said something has GOT to be done! First I took a bubble bath, still had a headache. So I called my massage therapist/nurse intern friend who has given me a couple other massages and left her a very pathetic message asking if should could get me in today. She called back a short time later and said she could get me in at about 12:30. Hallelujah! So I laid down with my warm pack for about an hour and then headed down to Olathe. I only had her give me a 30 minute one, just so she could really concentrate on my back. And whatdya know, 30 minutes later and I got up and had no headache! Massage therapists really are amazing. I don't know how anyone can go there whole life without one!

So I'm home now and all is calm, and I am happy. Alex is out "shooting" with some of the guys this morning. Well it was supposed to be just a morning thing...huh. It's 2:30pm now. haha The doggies have been enjoying the last couple days being able to be outside a little more. It's hard when it snows/melts/snows/melts because then the dogs come in with muddy paws. And of course we have to sit out in the garage and take the time to wipe off each and every speck of mud off before they can come in. So when the ground is dry and sun is shining, all is good. I think today might be our last day of good sunshine for awhile, though. I hear it's suppose to be a high of 12 tomorrow, or something like that.

Work has been crazy-as usual. But it is winter time now, which means patients are sicker and we are much busier than we are any other time of the year. I remember this time last year I was wondering how much longer I could take it, and if nursing was really the right career for me! I still wonder that from time to time, but really could not imagine myself doing anything else. Helping people is what I was meant to do.

Along with sicker people at the hospital come death and dying, as well. I have been lucky enough to be involved in the care of some very sick people recently. And when these people are that sick, along comes with that is the ethics side of nursing. I've taken classes on such topics and have been told that I would eventually have to deal with these things. Well, the last couple weeks have finally brought me several [all at once] situations that involve very intense, life-changing issues. I'll save you all the details, but basically I've dealt with a 78 year old with no living will, durable power of attorney or statement saying what he wants with all of this belongings...and oh yeah, he's about to die, can't speak, and cannot appoint anyone to speak for him. I've also had an experience with an 87 year lady who IS a "do no resuscitate, do not intubate" (DNR/DNI) but somehow was talked into having surgery to place a feeding tube. Both of which were things specifically stated in her advanced directive that she did not want. And one other case in which we had a fairly young man that was on our floor post-operatively for approximatley 4 months before he was discharged home with a home health nurse. Well, to tell you the truth, this man was an all-out jerk and nothing we did was ever good enough for him. Now, needless to say, he went home and proceeded to tell the home health nurse that he did not know at all how to take care of himself with all of this equipment (which is a flat out lie) and so the HH nurse told him that maybe he shouldn't have been discharged from the hospital . So now he's already filed a grievance with the hospital and there's a good chance we will be getting sued. "We" meaning everyone involved in his care. Including me. But we'll see what happens. Enough of all this negativity!!

Our New Year's was pretty laid back. We made our way over to our friend's Bret and Alyson Reimer's house. I think we stayed over there til about 3:30 am playing Mad Gab. I know I know, we're some big partiers!!

Alright well I better get on with my day. Starting tomorrow I'm working a 3-day stent, then home for another lasering of my eyes. My Lasik has gone a little blurry, and it's time for an enhancement. So this time next week I'll have new eyes, again! Hope everyone has a wonderful week. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Jerilyn said...

I'm SO glad you got better. Hope to see you this weekend.