Thursday, January 29, 2009

Opinion Poll

.....Because I know so many of my readers have an opinion!

So I went to see Dr. David yesterday, and he had a few things to advise me on.

I presented him with my food diaries that I had worked ever-so-diligently on for the last two weeks. These food diaries contained every bit of my nutrition intake and output for two solid weeks. Food, water, what food group, any other beverage consumption, bowel movements-frequency and consistency, and so on, and so forth. I was rather disturbed about having to do these, basically because I didn't quite know what his purpose was for me doing them. So when I presented them to him yesterday, he got out his yellow highlighter and started mumbling. In a nutshell, here is what he said:

I must cut out all fruit, for now. Fruit has too much sugar and it is feeding the yeast in my body (which is essentially what I am trying to get rid of. The yeast is everywhere.) He said maybe by summer I could start back on some "mild" fruit such as blueberries.

I also must cut out grains and/or carbohydrates. He says the carbs are also feeding the yeast. And somewhere in his ramblings, he went on about how Americans...well, actually humans in general, have been taught to eat lots of grains and carbs, when really there are no essential carbs. He believes that humans are carnivores and that they don't need much more than meat. Carbs, as he says, will almost always be turned into fat and they are very hard to ever lose, which leads me into my next point.

My main point here is that he wants me to eat meat. Lots of meat. Back to the statement that humans are carnivores, they should eat lots of meat. And my reply was, "so if I eat some meat, what can I eat with it?" He says you don't need much more than meat, or protein for that matter. He says if we eat pounds of protein every day, by the time your body uses all its energy to process it and store it, we only get a few ounces of protein. And protein will never turn to fat. Back to my statment, what do I eat with it? Salad? Vegetables? Potatoes? What? Which brings me to my last point.

He says that vegetables are ok, but we don't really need as much as we've been told. He says that high fiber foods are ok, but this high fiber diet that we've been told to eat may be more harmful than good due to the high rise in colon cancer since the FDA starting pushing fiber. So, basically I'm supposed to eat meat. Beef, lamb, pork, fish and eggs. Lots of eggs. And maybe a few vegetables, but not too many. Oh, and really a couple meals a day will do 'ya. No need to "graze" all day long, if you get enough protein that is.

Now I know all you readers will have an opinion on this one. I would love to hear everyone's stances and what you would do.

In other news, things are fine in this neck of the woods. Nothing too exciting, just waiting for the warm weather to get here. Actually, this 20 and 30 degree weather has felt like a heat wave! We've had lots of sunshine, too, the last couple of days, which makes me a much more productive person. I told Alex I think we should move somewhere where it's warm all the time. Like Arizona, Texas or even Florida. His reply consisted of suggestions where there was an MHC branch, such as Denver or Memphis. Eh, not my idea of a good time right now. ha

Alright, must get going. I suppose I have a few things to do today! Feel free to reply with your ideas!

5 comments:

Hannah said...

Ok, I have the same diet...

I suggest eating...
turkey, chicken, fish, (I dont eat red meat or pork, but you could if you wanted to), salad greens, avocado, kale, freise (sp?), spinach, legumes and beans, hummus, brown rice, most cooked and raw veggies, and raw nuts

Avoid....
dairy (milk, cheese, ice cream, etc.), sugar, honey, agave, grains, fruits, alcohol, coffee, tea, juice, and nut butters

I make one exeption and eat plain, whole yogurt for the good bacteria and acidophilus about once or twice a week.

I supplement with multi vitamins, oil of oregano, yeast and fungal detox, enzymes, acidolpholis, EFA's, and sometimes Pau d' arco tea.

Just remember that this is only temporary and that once your body starts getting healthy, you can greadually add some foods back in.

Jerilyn said...

Hannah's advice sounds good. And she's right, you have to keep reminding yourself that it's temporary. And won't it be nice to be healthier! Happy eating!

judy said...

I think Hannah gave you great, workable advise in a nutshell. Pretty easy to fix, good food and a doable diet. The hardest part is getting started. It will be worth it!

Jerilyn said...

I'm not sure why you were so sure we would all have an opinion!

Cherilyn Dahlsten said...

Em, I'm just catching up with this but remember that humans were originally vegetarians. Meat was added later. I think Hannah's advice is right on! Don't skimp on the salads. Just add chicken. Colon cancer has increased because the food pyramid and package marketing has convinced the general population that white wonder bread and fruit loops count as grains!

If you need a good recipe for hummus, try:
Blend in blender:
1 can garbanzos, partially drained.
1/3 c. lemon or lime juice
1 clove garlic
1/8 t. capsicum

Flavor with red peppers, sun dried tomatoe, cilantro or just have it plain. Experiment!

Eat with veggies or a few pita chips.