Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Funday

Sundays are always nice and calm. I really look forward to them.

While Alex is snoozing on the couch, I've done a few things, but not much more than just cuddle with the doggies and watch a TV show on extreme water parks. I did, though, do some dishes and make a little breakfast this morning. I attempted blueberry pancakes at first, but apparently I had the heat up too high, or something, because they did NOT turn out right. So I settled for a slice of bacon (I know, gross and terrible) and some fruit salad.

It's a little drury out today. Cold, too. I worked yesterday then we went down south to watch Alex's old boss play in a concert. They have a little band that plays 80's and 90's cover rock songs. They are actually pretty good. The bar they were playing out was actually at capacity when we got there, so we had to stand outside for like 30-45 minutes in the cold until they let us in. But it was fun. Made for a long day though.

So I've been using my new food dehydrator a lot lately. I haven't quite gotten the hang of everything, but I think if I try to do everything I want at least once, then the next time it will actually turn out right :) I am have some troubles with drying banana slices, and that's one of the things that I've wanted the most. I just can't get them to crisp up like the store-bought ones. Any suggestions?

Alright, better get back to my "busy day." I might make a snack and see about curling up with a blanket on the couch. That sounds nice!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My mom and sister love to dehydrate too! Sounds yummy. When I get a house that has more room, I want to start dehydrating! Good luck with your attempts. My mom has some great recipes if you are wanting some.

Sheri said...

Hi, Em!
About bananas...
I have had pretty good luck with slicing them rather thin and then dipping them in lemon juice (prevents browning) and then dehydrate at about 95 degrees for at least 12 hours perhaps longer depending on your dehydrator, ripeness of the bananas and even the weather.
Our favorite fruit to dehydrate is pineapple. Slice it into thin small bite-size pieces and then dehydrate at 95 degrees (that is where I do all the fruit and it takes about 12-18 hours or longer depending on how chewy you like them).
Next time you are home, come over and I will share some wonderful recipes and ideas I have learned.
Love, Sheri (-: