Wednesday, February 20, 2008

42 more hours and counting....

Who cares about the gorgeous sun shining outside....the couch has been my hideout ALL day today. I've got very congested sinus' and a nose that is either stuffed up or suddenly dripping. Really I'm not sick, just very sniffly. Nothin like the Food Network permanently plastered on my TV screen.

On top of my sniffly-ness, I have to wear my glasses. All day. Every day. Here's why: My time has finally come to have Lasik. I'm going to see Dr. Kingrey (the same doc that did my mom's lens implant) on Friday and most likely having him laser the crap out of my worthless corneas. (Sexy, huh?) Therefore, I must have my contacts out. And like I told Alex, I think the only reason they make you take your contacts out a week in advance is so at the end of the week you're so tired of wearing glasses that you're begging to have the stupid surgery done. The plan is to drive home to Mac tomorrow after work, have dad take me to Newton on Friday for my appointment and lasering; have a quick check up on Saturday post-op; drive back to KC and work Sunday, Monday, Wednesday. Then I'm off to Colorado! How cool would it be to be able to ski without any contacts in? Scary, but cool!

I think my body is rebelling today from my day of work yesterday (which was horrible, by the way.) Give me a day with a terrible charge nurse, a headache and bloodshot eyes due to wearing my glasses and a head full of snot, and I'm almost guaranteed to curl up on the couch for at least 24 hours. Too bad I have to work again tomorrow. But don't you worry, my manager and I will be chatting about this charge nurse situation. It is absolutely ridiculous to have a charge nurse that gripes out orders and rattles off patients that we absolutely have to take from the ER, and then does nothing to help anyone. Oh, and then as everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off at shift change so they can get everything done, she's strolls out with her purse the moment it's ok to clock out. THAT is ridiculous. So please, if you're reading this and you are or will sometime have the chance to be a charge nurse, keep these things in mind. Those things don't make the nursing staff happy.


Anyway, I've got to get dinner a-stirrin for Alex and I tonight. We're having barbecue turkey burgers smothered with carmelized onions. I know, I should be a gourmet cook. Just thank my healthy meals on the run cookbook.

Talk to you when my corneas are functioning again!

2 comments:

Jolyn said...

Ooh, can't wait to hear what it's like!

Unknown said...

Your personality really shines in this one sister. *LOL* You know. There's always going to be a "charge nurse" in every job you take. I believe when I left the work force, I finally decided I had learned the lessons that God had given me -- He was always testing me. That's why I was able to go. I did it. I made it. "God" luck to you my dear sweet girl.